There are a wide range of visible and invisible hazards that exist in the places we work or live in, such as formaldehyde, bacteria, TVOCs and viruses.

formaldehyde & tvocs

Bacteria & Viruses

Rust, Dust, Mould & More

FORMALDEHYDE & TVOCS

Formaldehyde is a carcinogenic gas with a strong taste and smell. It is a highly volatile gas, meaning it is easy to vaporize and remain in the air. It is an important and common ingredient to many chemical products, including paints. Formaldehyde has long been proven to poses a significant danger to human health. The US National Toxicology Program described it as a ‘known to be a human carcinogen’. Nowadays, Formaldehyde is common and ubiquitous among newly decorated house and cars, new furniture, and wooden products. Its emission usually lasts for 3 to 5 years and even up to 10 years.

Total Volatile Organic Compounds (TVOCs) is a mixture of hundreds of gases, which affects indoor air quality, and therefore human health. It is emitted from an array of indoor sources encompassing: floor wax, paints, printers, carpet, and cigarettes. The smell of TVOCs is pungent and it is particularly irritating to infants. TVOCs may be human carcinogens but the symptoms of exposure (including fatigue, headaches, drowsiness, skin and eye irritation) are obvious. Furthermore, respiratory, allergic, or immune effects in infants and children are commonly associated with man-made TVOCs.

BACTERIA & VIRUS

This year, the number of laboratory-confirmed flu virus infections began rising earlier than usual and hit historic highs in some Australian states.

Many common infections can spread by airborne transmission. Virus may be spread through breathing, talking, coughing, sneezing, raising of dust, spraying of liquids, toilet flushing or any activities which generates aerosol particles or droplets.

RUST, DUST, MOULD & MORE

Dust: People who have dust allergies are familiar with sneezing—but sneezing isn’t the only uncomfortable symptom. Dust allergies also give many people a stuffy or runny nose, or cause their eyes to itch or become red and watery.

To manage a dust allergy, it’s best to avoid the things most likely to cause an allergic reaction.

Mould: Mould may grow indoors in wet or moist areas lacking adequate ventilation.

Mould produces tiny particles called spores. Spores are carried in the air and may cause health problems if inhaled by people who are sensitive or allergic to them. These include a running or blocked nose, irritation of the eyes and skin and sometimes wheezing.

People with asthma, allergies, or other breathing conditions may be more sensitive to mould. People with weakened immune systems (such as people with HIV infection, cancer patients taking chemotherapy or people who have received an organ transplant) and with chronic lung diseases (such as Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) and emphysema) are more at risk of mould infection particularly in their lungs.

Rust: Rust can cause a variety of problems, for example structurally, it can cause brittleness, thus endangering the safety of users.